Puppy Tails

By Trisha

So, Monday evening I felt like the worst Puppy Mama ever. First of all, Gus gets these little cyst-like bumps between his little digits on his front paws. Usually, they are just pink and we know there is just blood in there and they normally just go away on their own, but this time it had a white-like look surrounded by a bit of pink. We knew we needed to puncture it and get whatever it was out. We did and then cleaned it up with peroxide and Neosporin and then making sure he didn't lick his paw. We hate to have to do it. It hurst him and while Jarom works on it I have to sit my him and rub his tummy and tell him what a good boy he is. As if that wasn't enough torture, I decided we needed to clip thier nails because they were getting long.
This is where I felt so bad. He has so many black nails that it is hard to tell how far is too far sometimes. You guessed it, I clipped one too short, got the quick and it just bled and bled. It took forever to stop, we even put superglue on it, but is was bleeding so much that it just would not take so we just had to wait and let it clot up. After that, Miss didn't want anything to do with me, but she let me clip her nails a bit and then Jarom brought out the dremel tool to sand down some of the parts I couldn't get. They didn't seem to mind it too much, but the noise did a little.
We vacuumed after that and if any of you have seen us vacuum with the dogs around they usually go running, but Miss always comes back. Always the protector, her first priority is Gus and then Me. While Gus was scampering to the safety of the front entry, Miss was barking and trying to bite, yes bite, the vacuum as Jarom ran it over the carpet. Once Gus was safe she would run around the long way through the family room, dining room, kitchen and breakfast nook back into the living room standing guard over me as Jarom continued to vacuum and I folded laundry. She's my hero!
Once we were done, we were getting ready to head upstairs to bed, Jarom saw all the blood. The clot had come off of Gus's nail and it was all over the front entry and on the carpet. We aren't talking just little drops either. There was so much it looked like we were trying to kill him. It was then that we also noticed that Miss had a touch of diahhrea and got some of it on the carpet and rug. We put them both out back while I cleaned up the mess with my trusty Resolve spray. Yesterday, you couldn't even tell our catastrophe ever happened. Jarom got them both cleaned up out back and then all of us went to bed.
We have the Shaefer's over last night for dinner after Mike and our neighbor helped Jarom bring in the pellet stove. Gus and Miss had a blast with the girls.
I was surprised Jarom let them sleep on the bed with us last night. We are still having warm days but you can feel the autumn cold snips in the evening. In the beginning they were both in the middle between us, then they both eventually moved to my side of the bed and Hope was cuddled at Jarom's feet. Gus was at my stomach and Miss at my feet. By the time we all settled in, Gus had his head up by my pillow with his body as close as he could get to keep warm and Miss was cuddled up with Jarom. I don't think any of us slept much...well, except Gus and Miss.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?