By Trisha
I can't believe it's been almost two months since my last entry. We haven't been all that busy, but I somehow haven't found the time to update everyone. Summer is almost over, but I'm quite positive that our very warm summer weather will be sticking around for awhile. We just can't seem to get out of the 90's and 100's. It is just awful miserable.

We started August off with a beautiful wedding. Aunt Tracy and Uncle Dustin were married on August 8th in their backyard and it was just beautiful. I still can't believe they got everyone back there but they did and it was comfortable. It was nice to have a mini family reunion, too. Aunt Tracy look so pretty in her wedding dress as did Aunt Teresa and Coley in their bridesmaid dresses. The food was absolutley delicious-kahlua pork, rice, salads, rolls, chicken skewers, and so much more that I can't even remember. They have four different cakes for thier wedding cake-chocolate chocolate, cheesecake, carrot cake and I think the other was lemon, I can't remember.

My gift and Jarom's as well as Tiff & Steve's gift to them is going to be a quilt when I get it finished. It is going to be pretty big-bigger than anything that I have ever made. I picked up some white 100% cotton fabric and cut them into squares. I cut 60 squares, so I'd have enough for everyone. I picked up some oil pastels and at the wedding went from table to table telling everyone what I was doing and asked them to help me out. Each person or couple, however they wanted to do it, designed a square to add to the quilt. I have 43 squares, all designed by wedding guests with messages, pictures whatever they felt inspired to do. Since it is an uneven number and some are only half the square, I'm going to pick a few pictures from the wedding that family took and print them on fabric to include in the quilt. I have quite a variety of fabric quarters in design and color that I am incorporating into the quilt along with some tropical/Hawaiian fabrics (the groom and groomsmen wor Hawaiian shirt with khakis). I'm really excited about it. I can't wait until it is done. I'm trying to remember to take pictures as I go too. Once all the squares are sewn together, I will go pick out a fabric for the packing. I think I'm sold on this pale yellow with little hearts on it, but we will see.

In case your wondering, to get the oil pastels to set without rubbing or washing out-you place a piece of regular white paper over the top of the fabric that is drawn on. Set your iron on the cotton setting, no steam and place it on top of the paper. Hold it there for about 10 seconds, pick up the iron and move to the next spot until you covered the entire drawn image. Be careful not to glide the iron over the paper, this can smudge the unset pastel image. Yes, after the wedding, we went back to our hotel room and ironed each square. I didn't want to risk them being smudged and ruined on the way home.

The week after the wedding I fixed a week's worth of meals for us and our neighbors. Leanne, had to have an emergency hysterectomy for possible cervical cancer and I really wanted to do something. Something that would help them out and take a little stress off them. She had the procedure Friday afternoon and was back to work on Monday, she was even doing a light workout at the gym, but despite all that I still wanted to help out. I did a Greek night complete with gyros, tahziki, karbohnahrah and pohtahtas; chicken rolls another night, citrus pork chops, mini Guam feast and oh, I can't remember the other one. I even did desserts-glazed tropical fruit salad, pineapple-cranberry minis, individual baked alaskas, chocolate malt shoppe ice cream pie and chocolate cherry cheesecake. I just love cooking and now that there is more than just me and Jarom, it doesn't go to waste and Wallace said that he would never refuse a meal.

Since then, we have been doing some cleaning and more cooking of course. I'm not afraid to try anything. Last week, I had a bit of a rough week. I was so tired and spent most of the week in bed. I don't know if it was allergies or a sinus infection trying to latch on but all the rest helped me kick its rear. :o) I did some research for Jarom as far as pricing items and whether or not it would be worth the money and time to run a snack shack on 9/26 for a conference being held at the high tech. It would be well worth it and they are expecting about 160 people, so we are doing coffee in the morning and a lunch plate in the afternoon. I said I would help and if Jenna doesn't have to work we are going to try to recruit her. We are going to BBQ hot dogs and hamburger and included with the plate will be chipc, cookies and a soda. It took some time to track down everything and them I had to list the price and quantity in everything and piece price everything and figure out what the plates would cost us to put together and discuss a price to charge. At $3 a plate they would make their money back plus another $1.50.

This weekend, we don't have plans but I might help our Wallace and Leanne by watching Madison and Trenton for awhile. I'm excited to spend time with the kids. They are so cute!

Last weekend, Jarom and Jenna went to a double feature and the drive-in. They saw Funny People and Inglorious Bastards. I didn't want to see Funny People and it's a good thing. Jarom said it was pretty lame and he wasn't very impressed with Inglorious Bastards. Sunday evening, after dinner, the three of us had a game night with Scattergories and Cribbage. Last night, we got in some exercise with some bowling. At the end of October, we are going to go see Dane Cook live at Arco Arena. I'm really excited for that. I've been wanting to see him for a few years now.

It sure seems like we have been really busy and up to stuff, but we really haven't. The dogs are good and just thier fun selves. Hope and Minnie play a lot. Minnie has rediscovered one of her toys-the circle with the ball in the middle. She plays with it a little during the day and most of the evening if her and Hope aren't chasing each other.

I do hope everyone has had a great summer and Happy New School Year!
 

1 comment so far.

  1. Anonymous September 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    I love reading your blogs, Trisha! It looks to me like you've been busy! I can't wait to see what the quilt looks like when you're done! Love you!

    Sherry

Something to say?