Shaken, Not Stirred Camping

By Trisha

We headed to Meadow Lake Friday morning to camp. This was the area Jarom and his friends went to hunt but they had no luck, once again this year. He asked me to go back with him and I decided it would be a nice change of scenery and a nice break from the heat. I was even relieved to hear about the rain; I've missed it.


Anyway, we got there and it was a beautiful drive and I got some great pictures of the changing trees in the Tahoe National Forest. We sat and talked around the fire most of the afternoon, even as the rain came down. Well, we did that until it started to pour and the wind picked up. The dogs were getting cold and so was I.

Anyway, the dogs and I went into the tent and they layed down on thier blankets that we brought and I curled up in the sleeping bags with the heater on and read "Breaking Dawn". Jarom hung out with the guys, as I was the only female. I didn't want him to feel like he had to babysit me, so I told him to go and have fun with them outside under Dennis's awning with the rest of them and not to worry about me. The dogs and I were fine, especially when the dogs decided that they were too cold Jarom put them on the bed with me. Gus curled up at my feet and Miss curled up at my back with her behind under the sleeping bag.

Jarom came in around 6pm with a couple burgers for dinner and crawled into the sleeping bag with me and the dogs stayed curled up with us. It had to have been quite a sight. I wish now that I had grabbed my phone to take a picture of us. Gus was curled up by this time in the sleeping bag at my chest and Miss was nestled between Jarom and I, also under the sleeping bag. It was crowded, but very cozy. We stayed plenty warm but no slept very well. My hip was giving me problems from my fall in July and I had muscle spasms with lots of pain.

On a side note: I found out last week that I already have the start of arthritis in my hips and I've known for awhile that I have it in my hands already. Anyway, the doc put me on steroid for a week and physical therapy. I told him I thought I had a compressed nerve and he said what I described to him sounds like that definitely. I hope treatment will not have to go beyond the physical therapy. With everything Jarom had been through I have no desire to go through that if the PT doesn't work.

Anyway, back to camping the rain continued to pour and come down hard and the wind was so gusty I thought at time it would blow our tent with us inside it, away. I was bummed about the rain. I was looking forward to walking around the campground and the lake. It was just so beautiful on the drive up there. It was a bumpy ride and Jarom said the dogs were shaken, but not stirred.

When we got up, I asked if he would be terribly upset with me if I asked to go home and he said no. The dogs were still cold as I could feel them shivering. Jarom went out to chat with the guys while I got dressed and it turns out one of our friends had a leak in his trailer and he was cold, wet and miserable and headed home. When we heard the possible snow that could be coming, everyone decided to pack up and head home. Jarom and I got maybe a mile out, still in the campground and met another driver from the other direction that flagged us down to tell us that an RV was stuck in the mud up the way and recommended we head out Jackson Meadow, so we headed back to camp to chat with everyone. The others would not make it through Jackson Meadow because of the steep and rocky terrain. Jarom and I headed back the same way as originally and the RV was gone, but it was very muddy and slippery. Luckily one by one, we all made it through, with the trucks in four wheel drive and a little sliding.

Now, we are all home and bathed, clean and warm. I have to say the dogs did have fun when we got there. They ran around kicking up the dusty dirt in their wake. It was the rain and the really cold temperatures that made made it hard on them. We plan to go back in the summer with the dogs where there is no rain on the weather horizon and comfortable temperatures.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?